Zijin Timok copper-gold mine in Serbia to reach production target in 2023
China’s Zijin Mining Group expects the future Cukaru Peki Upper Zone mine of the Timok copper-gold project in Serbia to reach production target in 2023, it said.
“Efforts will be made to ensure that the Timok copper (gold) mine in Serbia, Camoa-Kakura Copper Mine in DRC will start production in 2021 and reach production target in 2023,” Zijin said in a statement.
Zijin also noted that it aims to accelerate the development of three open-pit mines and an underground mine in the Bor copper mining complex in Serbia, as well as to boost the smelter’s technological improvement and expansion.
Serbia’s energy minister Aleksandar Antic said that he expects Zijin Mining Group to open the Cukaru Peki Upper Zone mine in the second half of 2021.
The Timok copper and gold project located in eastern Serbia consists of the Cukaru Peki Upper Zone and Lower Zone. Zijin owns 100% of the Cukaru Peki Upper Zone plus a 60.4% stake in the Cukaru Peki Lower Zone, while US-based Freeport McMoran owns the remainder. In November, Zijin signed an agreement to acquire Freeport McMoran’s copper and gold assets in Serbia for up to $390 million (351 million euro).
Zijin also holds majority ownership in Serbian copper mining and smelting company RTB Bor. The Chinese group injected $350 million in the capital of RTB Bor in December 2018 and intends to invest a total of $1.26 billion to improve its production operations, open new mines and increase efficiency.
- Serbia will not allow the exploitation of lithium just to export it to other countries
- Construction at Adriatic Metals’ Vares high-grade silver project in Bosnia and Herzegovina is picking up speed
- North Macedonia, Central Asia Metals increases copper production
- Kazakhstan, KAZ Minerals increases copper production 26% in first nine 2022
- Modern mining companies are now going to more zero emissions and green eco-responsible extraction technologies
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Serbia: deposits of gold and copper
- New Bulgaria plant for casting of iron and steel
- Serbia has the world’s largest lithium reserves
- War over lithium behind the mountains in Portugal
- Walkabout Resources identifies ‘numerous’ drilling targets in Ireland
- Czech authorities approves Cinovec lithium DFS level drilling programme
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- Talas Gold Mining Complex in Kyrgyzstan launched
- Who are the main players in the ore exploration business in Serbia