UK-based Red Rock to finance Bosnia’s Jajce smelter overhaul
UK-based mining company Red Rock Resources said it signed an agreement to take control of a 17% stake in local company Steemlin in exchange for financing the refurbishment and recommissioning of a ferrosilicon smelter in Jajce, in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Red Rock has borrowed a total of $4.23 million (5.1 million euro) from a group of investors in the form of a 12-month security promissory note, with an additional term of eight months available on 25% of the principal, the company said in a statement on Thursday.
The first repayment of $507,156 has already been made to the investors, Red Rock said.
“Steelmin continues to progress on schedule towards production, and European ferrosilicon prices have further improved. The strengthening of sterling against the dollar since we took out the loan, and the slight improvement of the Euro against sterling, have benefitted both sides of our back to back facility. We expect significant dividend and royalty inflows in the remainder of calendar 2017 to enable us to continue paying down our loan after this first substantial payment,” the president of Red Rock, Andrew Bell, said in the statement.
The ferrosilicon and silicon metal smelter complex in Jajce, in central Bosnia, was shuttered in 2004 due to increasing exports pressure from Chinese producers. Steelmin acquired it in 2011 and plans to restart ferrosilicon production in the first quarter of 2018.
- Bulgarian gold in offshore paradise linked to European public lender
- European Metals raises £2.28m for lithium Cinovec deposit in the Czech Republic
- In Poland’s coal heartland, miners defend their jobs but imagine a greener future
- Atalaya Mining approves expansion plan at Proyecto Riotinto, Spain
- Velocity Announces Additional Positive Drill Results at Rozino Gold Project, Southeast Bulgaria
- Tirex Resources mining license for high grade Rehova Albania copper project approved
- Beowulf Mining environment mitigation process with Sweden authorities
- Rio Tinto powers up Serbian Jadar lithium mine for car battery boom
- Ravello Investment Group takes over Turkey gold Pertek project
- Polymetal takes over Armenia Kapan gold mine from Dundee
- BSG Resources Panama papers on Oil refinery and Rosia Montana gold mine in Romania
- Avala Resources gold mining project Serbia, Environment Social Impacts
- Canada’s Euro Sun Mining gets $8.6 million financing for Romanian ops
- First Quantum Minerals copper-zinc Pyhasalmi mine in Finland
- Serbia sets up body to give boost to Rio Tinto’s Jadar project