Finland: Sibanye Stillwater backed Keliber has reported a 32% boost in lithium reserves
The Finland-based company’s ore reserves have risen from 9.37 million tonnes to 12.3Mt at an average grade of 0.94% lithium oxide.
The reserve at its largest deposit, Rapassaari, has grown 55% from a 2019 estimate to 8.21Mt at 0.89% Li2O.
The company is aiming to start producing battery-grade lithium hydroxide in 2024, using its own ore.
CEO Hannu Hautala said the Rapasaari increase would extend Keliber’s planned mining operations by more than two years.
A 2019 study, improved in 2020, had estimated a 13-year operation based on the then-9.3Mt in reserves at several spodumene deposits, producing 15,000t of battery-grade lithium hydroxide annually from a plant to be built 50km from the mining area.
Keliber is aiming to publish an updated definitive feasibility study in early 2022.
“By continuing our exploration activities and systematic drilling programme, we will ensure Keliber’s position as a lithium hydroxide producer well into the future,” Hautala said yesterday.
Keliber had €18.1 million cash on hand at the end of June.
Sibanye-Stillwater announced a €30 million investment in February to take a 30% stake in Keliber, marking the South Africa-based miner’s first foray into the battery minerals sector.
It followed this with a deal in July to acquire a nickel processing plant in France for €65 million and today agreed to invest US$490 million for a 50% stake in ASX-listed ioneer’s flagship Rhyolite Ridge lithium-boron project in Nevada.
- Eldorado and Minvest Deva Certej mine proposal rejected in Romania
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Thyssenkrupp exclusive distributor of graphite production from Elcora Adv Materials
- Armenia’s environmental crimes committed in Azerbaijani lands are said to cause $285 billion in damages
- Kazakhstan to produce 21,600 mt of uranium in 2018
- Miedzi Copper Corporation discovers deposits of silver and copper in Poland
- Mineral Commodities announced results from Trælen Graphite Mine in Norway
- Uzbekistan completes copper mine expansion project
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- Aspire Mining’s future production plans