Romania: The Court of Appeal has put an end to the Eldorado Gold mine project
The gold mine development project, implemented by Canada’s Eldorado Gold in Certei, central Romania, through Deva Gold, has been permanently blocked by the Court of Appeal in Cluj. This upheld the Basic Court’s decision canceling the Zoning Plan (PUZ) for the entire mining project.
“This decision invalidates any approvals that Deva Gold has received from 2010 until now, based on the PUZ: from environmental agreements to building permits,” explained Roxana Pencea Bradatan, a representative of the environmental NGO Mining Watch Romania. The project, which is very harmful to the environment, has been blocked indefinitely, she added.
The PUZ for the area covered by the Certej mining project was approved by the Certej de Sus Village Council in 2010.
The court, however, found that the council had seriously violated the public consultation procedures as well as the consultation procedures with other competent authorities that needed to issue expert opinions, such as water management opinions.
The developer of the Certej mining project, in the village of Certeju de Sus, Hunedoara County, is the Canadian company Eldorado Gold (ELD), which plans to open the first surface cyanide mine in Romania.
The Certej deposit is owned by Deva Gold, a joint venture between Eldorado Gold (80%) and the state-owned company Minvest Deva (20%).
- How a rising anti-mining movement is challenging Portugal’s ‘white gold’ rush
- Canada supports responsible conduct in mining industry
- Adriatic produces lucrative copper/gold/silver concentrate in Bosnia
- Anglo Asian Mining production volume grew in Azerbaijan last year
- Ariana Resources in fine fettle as gold production climbs
- Otso Gold - Short runway to Finland gold production
- The weight of gold, Bulgaria
- Rio Tinto in Serbia: Lithium exploitation plan presented
- Lithium and rare earth elements discovered in Mongolia Khuut mine
- Romania bail out from Ukraine Krivoy Rog Mining Oxidized Ore project investment
- BSG Capital Gabriel Resources owner Steinmetz wanted in Romania
- $700 million invested by Vallex Group in Armenia’s mining industry over past two decades
- North Macedonia to probe financing of Kazandol mining project
- Romania Baia Mare Cyanide Spill by Esmeralda Exploration Australia
- Polish ZGH Boleslav lead and zinc mine in Montenegro secured future exploitation