Romania: The Court of Appeal has put an end to the Eldorado Gold mine project
The gold mine development project, implemented by Canada’s Eldorado Gold in Certei, central Romania, through Deva Gold, has been permanently blocked by the Court of Appeal in Cluj. This upheld the Basic Court’s decision canceling the Zoning Plan (PUZ) for the entire mining project.
“This decision invalidates any approvals that Deva Gold has received from 2010 until now, based on the PUZ: from environmental agreements to building permits,” explained Roxana Pencea Bradatan, a representative of the environmental NGO Mining Watch Romania. The project, which is very harmful to the environment, has been blocked indefinitely, she added.
The PUZ for the area covered by the Certej mining project was approved by the Certej de Sus Village Council in 2010.
The court, however, found that the council had seriously violated the public consultation procedures as well as the consultation procedures with other competent authorities that needed to issue expert opinions, such as water management opinions.
The developer of the Certej mining project, in the village of Certeju de Sus, Hunedoara County, is the Canadian company Eldorado Gold (ELD), which plans to open the first surface cyanide mine in Romania.
The Certej deposit is owned by Deva Gold, a joint venture between Eldorado Gold (80%) and the state-owned company Minvest Deva (20%).
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Reservoir Minerals copper exploration project halted by Macedonia Gevgelija local authorities
- Turkey gold exploration project promotes AU Mariana Resources junior mining Co
- Ariana Resources at Kiziltepe gold mine in Turkey still mining strongly with record level of ore production
- Romania, Rovina gold mining project in Romania close to getting final permits
- Uzbekistan completes copper mine expansion project
- New Bulgaria plant for casting of iron and steel
- Kyrgyzstan Kumtor gold output accounted for 9.7% of country’s GDP in 2017
- $700 million invested by Vallex Group in Armenia’s mining industry over past two decades
- Mine waste failures and tailing spills in Serbia