First Quantum to sell future nickel output from Kevitsa Finland mine
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. is considering the sale of future precious metals output from some of its Finland based nickel mine Kevitsa.
First Quantum is working with Standard Chartered Plc to study options for so-called precious metals streaming transactions for mines including the Kevitsa nickel mine in Finland and the Kansanshi copper asset in Zambia, the people said, asking not to be identified as the negotiations are private. The Vancouver-based company may sell output from individual mines, pool production from several assets or choose not to conduct a streaming transaction if it receives a good price on other asset sales, the people said.
Kevitsa is an open-pit mine that produced 8,963 metric tons of nickel in 2013, as well as 14,775 tons of copper, 30,403 ounces of platinum and 11,723 ounces of gold, according to its website. First Quantum owns 80 percent of Kansanshi, Africa’s largest copper mine, which produced 270,724 tons of the metal and 167,395 ounces of gold that year.
First Quantum is among mining companies that are slashing costs and selling assets as a slowdown in China, the biggest metals consumer, drags down commodity prices around the world. The Bloomberg Commodity Index hit a record low on Tuesday and copper was its cheapest since 2009.
The Canadian company said in October it plans to reduce debt by $1 billion through measures such as asset sales, job cuts and reductions in capital spending. The company’s shares have dropped 32 percent this year in Toronto trading this year.
First Quantum has also been fielding offers for the Kevitsa mine, which may fetch at least $1 billion, people familiar with the matter said last month. Miners including Boliden AB and Lundin Mining Corp. are considering final bids for the asset, which is one of the largest nickel reserves in Finland, the people said at the time.
- Construction at Adriatic Metals’ Vares high-grade silver project in Bosnia and Herzegovina is picking up speed
- North Macedonia, Central Asia Metals increases copper production
- Kazakhstan, KAZ Minerals increases copper production 26% in first nine 2022
- Modern mining companies are now going to more zero emissions and green eco-responsible extraction technologies
- Anglo Asian Mining announced the start of an expansion of its flotation plant
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Bosnia and Herzegovina, Discovered a gold deposit near Srebrenica
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- Norwegian phosphate, vanadium and titanium raw materials discovery
- Who are the main players in the ore exploration business in Serbia
- Finland, Sibanye-Stillwater approved €588 million ($616m) investment to advance its Keliber lithium project
- Spain, Denarius will initially have an option to subscribe for a 51% stake in EMI
- The raw truth of Europe’s raw materials
- Lithium and rare earth elements discovered in Mongolia Khuut mine
- Orion Mine Finance & Fusion Capital JV zink lead mine in Macedonia introduce a new juncture in mining business