Turkey discovered huge gold deposit worth $6 billion
Turkey has already broken its record in 2020 by producing a total of 38 tonnes of gold, while Energy Minister Faith Donmez had set an annual target for gold production of 100 tonnes earlier this year in September.
Turkey has stumbled upon a huge gold deposit weighing as much as 99 tonnes, with valuation touted to be around $6 billion, more than the GDP of some countries. As per the state-run news agency Anadolu, the deposit was discovered by Gubertas – a fertilizer manufacturing company – along with Fahrettin Poyraz, head of the country’s Agricultural Credit Cooperatives.
After the news came out, shares of Gubertas surged 10 per cent on Borsa Istanbul – the Turkish stock exchange. Poyraz informed Anadolu that the first extraction of gold is to take place within two years, adding value to the Turkish economy. The value of the recently discovered gold deposit is estimated to be greater than the GDP of some countries. According to Worldometer, the GDP of Maldives is $4.87 billion, while that of Burundi is pegged at $3.17 billion. While this makes the gold deposit richer than these countries, others like Barbados, Guyana, Montenegro, and Mauritania have economies much smaller than $6 billion.
Another development involving the influx of funds in Turkey is the rehabilitation of the Syrian refugees in the country. The European Union (EU) is planning to inject about $590 million in cash in order to help more than 1.8 million refugees, as well as to educate more than 7 lakh children. The programs are being run by the Turkish Red Crescent in collaboration with UNICEF and the Red Cross.
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Serbia Lece gold mine in the hands of a phantom company from Dubai
- Serbia: deposits of gold and copper
- Who are the main players in the ore exploration business in Serbia
- Eldorado and Minvest Deva Certej mine proposal rejected in Romania
- Adriatic Metals’ Veovaca project in Bosnia received exploitation permit
- Sweden eyes cobalt mining on home turf
- Oil and gas company MOL cuts CAPEX, focus on projects in Croatia, Russia, Pakistan
- Lukoil Romania Petrotel oil refinery prepares for Iran oil
- Dundee takes over junior Serbia copper-gold deposits developer Avala Resources