Terraframe company mines uranium in Sotkamo, Finland
The Finnish Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment announced that the Finnish government granted a permit for state-owned Terraframe company to extract and refine uranium from the ore obtained from its mine in Sotkamo, east Finland.
The Finnish government confirmed that the project meets the requirements of the legislation concerning nuclear and radiation safety, and the permit is valid for the whole operational time of the mine.
The ministry estimated the amount of semi-finished uranium products from the mine to be at the most 250 tons per year. They will be refined into yellowcake for manufacturing fuel for nuclear power plants.
At the moment, the main products of the mine are nickel and zinc.
The government ensured that “uranium will be utilized responsibly and only for peaceful purposes.”
Finnish Ministry of the Environment expressed the view that the recovery of the uranium can remarkably reduce the concentration of uranium in the waters in the area. Local environmental officials noted that the environmental impact in the area is smaller when the uranium plant is in operation than if mining operations there continue without the extraction of uranium.
Under Finnish law, people or organizations whose interests could be affected may file complaints to administrative courts.
Joni Lukkaroinen, CEO of the Terraframe, told national broadcaster Yle that complaints could delay the start.
The Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority of Finland (STUK) was quoted by Finnish media as saying on Thursday that Finland would likely to be the only uranium producer in the European Union.
- Miedzi Copper Corporation discovers deposits of silver and copper in Poland
- Savannah Resources “white gold” rush in Portugal – lithium mining and environmental issues
- Medgold exploration and the value of ore wealth in Serbia
- Lydian Armenia – Amulsar mine blockade
- Centerra Gold – first gold pour at Oksut Mine in Turkey
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Lithium and rare earth elements discovered in Mongolia Khuut mine
- Eurasian Minerals Updates Progress at the Akarca Gold-Silver Royalty Property in Turkey
- New Serbia mining law gives concessionaires extended exploration area up to 5000m2 for oil & gas
- Off-take deal a 'significant step forward' towards mine commercialisation for Vast Resources
- Russia GMK Norilsk Nickel to develop copper mine Bystrinsky with Chinese loan
- Metal Tiger miner secures funds to extend its gold JV with Euroasia Mining
- Terraframe company mines uranium in Sotkamo, Finland
- Romania Gov increase of mining royalties raise protests of mining exploitation companies
- Pasinex Resources' JV Turkey Operation Produces 5.3 Million Pounds of Zinc In Q3 2016