Serbia hopes Rio Tinto to start lithium production before 2023
Serbia’s government hopes British-Australian mining group Rio Tinto to start lithium production at the Jadar mineral exploration project near the western town of Loznica before 2023, a government official said on Wednesday.
The government expects Rio Tinto to complete the project documentation and launch the mine soon, the assistant minister for the mining sector in the country’s energy ministry, Sinisa Tanackovic, said in a video file posted on the website of Serbian news agency Tanjug.
The coming years are very important for the Serbian mining sector, Tanackovic said during the seventh edition of the Mineral Resources in the Republic of Serbia international conference in Belgrade.
In July, Serbia’s government signed a memorandum of understanding with Rio Tinto related to the implementation of the Jadar mineral exploration project, enabling the creation of joint task groups, which would oversee the study phase of the project and the process of obtaining necessary permits.
Rio Tinto discovered a world-class lithium-borate deposit in the valley of the Jadar river in Serbia in 2004. The company said it plans to start production in 2023, assuming that feasibility studies confirm viability and all necessary approvals are obtained.
The Jadar lithium borate discovery in Serbia is 135.7 million tonnes with a weighted average concentration of 1.86% of lithium oxide, representing one of the largest lithium deposits in the world.
- Bulgarian gold in offshore paradise linked to European public lender
- European Metals raises £2.28m for lithium Cinovec deposit in the Czech Republic
- In Poland’s coal heartland, miners defend their jobs but imagine a greener future
- Atalaya Mining approves expansion plan at Proyecto Riotinto, Spain
- Velocity Announces Additional Positive Drill Results at Rozino Gold Project, Southeast Bulgaria
- Tirex Resources mining license for high grade Rehova Albania copper project approved
- Beowulf Mining environment mitigation process with Sweden authorities
- Rio Tinto powers up Serbian Jadar lithium mine for car battery boom
- Ravello Investment Group takes over Turkey gold Pertek project
- Polymetal takes over Armenia Kapan gold mine from Dundee
- BSG Resources Panama papers on Oil refinery and Rosia Montana gold mine in Romania
- Avala Resources gold mining project Serbia, Environment Social Impacts
- Canada’s Euro Sun Mining gets $8.6 million financing for Romanian ops
- First Quantum Minerals copper-zinc Pyhasalmi mine in Finland
- Serbia sets up body to give boost to Rio Tinto’s Jadar project