Romania wants to place Rosia Montana under UNESCO protection and block gold mining project at this site
The final deadline for submitting the application for UNESCO Heritage List is February 1, 2021.
Culture minister Bogdan Gheorghiu announced that Romania will resume the procedure for listing the Rosia Montana site in the list of UNESCO World Heritage.
“Following the analysis and consultations, we decided that the procedure of listing the Roşia Montană site in the list of UNESCO World Heritage should be resumed. The notification will be filed, thus allowing us to have the case discussed in this summer’s meeting of the World Heritage Committee in China,” Gheorghiu said.
Placing the site under UNESCO’s protection is requested by the NGOs advocating against the gold mining project developed by foreign investors in partnership with the state – a project that lingers amid complications related to the environmental permits.
Canadian group Gabriel Resources, the majority shareholder of Roşia Montană Gold Corporation (RMGC), is asking the state USD 4.4 billion in compensations from the Romanian state for not allowing the project, accusing the former Ciolos Government that, in its last days of mandate, it submitted the necessary documents to UNESCO to declare the entire area naturally protected.
No gold exploitation will be carried out in the area, if UNESCO completes the procedure for declaring it as a natural protected area.
- Eldorado and Minvest Deva Certej mine proposal rejected in Romania
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Armenia’s environmental crimes committed in Azerbaijani lands are said to cause $285 billion in damages
- Kazakhstan to produce 21,600 mt of uranium in 2018
- Thyssenkrupp exclusive distributor of graphite production from Elcora Adv Materials
- Uzbekistan completes copper mine expansion project
- Mineral Commodities announced results from Trælen Graphite Mine in Norway
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- Aspire Mining’s future production plans
- Miedzi Copper Corporation discovers deposits of silver and copper in Poland