Rio Tinto invests $100 mln in Jadar project in Serbia since 2004
British-Australian mining corporation Rio Tinto has invested $100 million (86.3 million euro) in the development of the Jadar lithium borate discovery in Serbia since 2004, the Serbian government said.
“As Jadar can significantly influence the development of Loznica and the whole region, the government has established an inter-ministerial working group to cooperate with the investor on all aspects of the project,” prime minister Ana Brnabic said in a statement on Thursday.
The mining group discovered in 2004 the world-class lithium borate deposit in the valley of the Jadar river, near the Serbian town of Loznica, and plans to start production in 2023.
In July 2017, Serbia’s government signed a memorandum of understanding with Rio Tinto related to the implementation of the Jadar project, opening the way for the creation of joint task groups to oversee the study phase of the project and the process of obtaining the necessary permits.
Rio Tinto has been active in Serbia since 2001 through its local subsidiary Rio Sava Exploration. The company has also established a subsidiary for the execution of geological surveys in Serbia and the region, Rio Tinto Explorations Dunav.
The Jadar lithium borate discovery in Serbia is estimated at 135.7 million tonnes with a weighted average concentration of 1.86% of lithium oxide, representing one of the largest lithium deposits in the world.
“The lightest metal on Earth, lithium is used in a vast array of products, most notably batteries for hybrid and electric vehicles,” Rio Tinto explains. “The deposit also contains borates, which are essential building blocks for heat resistant glass, fibreglass, ceramics, fertilisers, detergents, wood preservatives and many other household and commercial products.”
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Reservoir Minerals copper exploration project halted by Macedonia Gevgelija local authorities
- Uzbekistan completes copper mine expansion project
- Ariana Resources at Kiziltepe gold mine in Turkey still mining strongly with record level of ore production
- Turkey gold exploration project promotes AU Mariana Resources junior mining Co
- Romania, Rovina gold mining project in Romania close to getting final permits
- Macedonia Valandovo local community mobilizes against copper mine exploitation
- Dundee reports record gold production in second quarter in Bulgaria
- New Bulgaria plant for casting of iron and steel
- $700 million invested by Vallex Group in Armenia’s mining industry over past two decades