Rio Tinto copper asset deals in Serbia triggers BHP copper earn-in project in Canada
Earn-in agreements allow mining majors to secure stakes in promising early-stage projects for relatively limited up-front risk. They were fairly common when metal prices soared through much of the last decade, but have become rare in the last few years for both base metal and precious metal assets.
The Canadian arm of mining giant BHP Billiton (BHP.AX) has signed a letter of intent to help fund exploration at Aston Bay Holdings Ltd’s (BAY.V) Storm copper project, Aston Bay said on Thursday. Under terms of the preliminary deal, BHP could earn a 75 percent interest in Storm, located in Canada’s far north territory of Nunavut, if it spends a minimum of C$40 million on exploration over the next few years, writes Reuters.
The latest move by BHP comes close on the heels of similar moves by rival Rio Tinto (RIO.L)(RIO.AX), which recently inked similar deals involving the copper assets of two Canadian juniors.
The developments indicate the majors are beginning to be concerned about their long-term copper project pipeline as supply-demand fundamentals in the commodity remain fairly tight despite the slide in the price of copper.
In November, Avala Resources Ltd (AVZ.V) announced an earn-in agreement with Rio on its Lenovac project, located in Serbia, coming days after Rio signed a similar deal with Reservoir Minerals Inc (RMC.V) on its Timok Magmatic Complex in Serbia.
Both assets are located near the promising Cukaru Peki deposit in Serbia, part of a joint venture Reservoir has with Freeport-McMoRan Inc (FCX.N). That deposit has shown promising results, leading to heightened interest in the region.
- Eldorado and Minvest Deva Certej mine proposal rejected in Romania
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Thyssenkrupp exclusive distributor of graphite production from Elcora Adv Materials
- Armenia’s environmental crimes committed in Azerbaijani lands are said to cause $285 billion in damages
- Kazakhstan to produce 21,600 mt of uranium in 2018
- Miedzi Copper Corporation discovers deposits of silver and copper in Poland
- Mineral Commodities announced results from Trælen Graphite Mine in Norway
- Uzbekistan completes copper mine expansion project
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- Aspire Mining’s future production plans