Norilsk Nickel and Russian Platinum ink partnership agreement
PJSC MMC Norilsk Nickel, the largest producer of palladium and refined nickel in the world, and LLC Russian Platinum have signed a framework agreement on strategic partnership. As per the agreement, the parties will establish a joint venture to develop disseminated ore deposits in the Norilsk Industrial District. The JV will be 50%-owned by Nornickel and 50% owned by Russian Platinum. Nornickel will contribute to the JV its license for Maslovskoe deposit, while Russian Platinum will contribute its licenses for the South flank of Norilsk-1 and Chernogorskoe deposits.
The JV aims at becoming one of the world’s largest producers of platinum group metals with a target annual production volume of approximately 70:100 tons of PGMs. The JV is expected to be set up by the end of 2018 subject to internal corporate approvals as well as necessary regulatory approvals.
The investment approval of the project parameters and time-line will be made upon completion of a feasibility study that is scheduled by the end of 2019. The project’s implementation is expected to start in 2020. Then Nornickel will provide the JV the access to the Company’s energy and transportation infrastructure in the Norilsk industrial district.
The project will be funded with a help of project financing and other financial instruments.
Mr Vladimir Potanin President of Nornickel, commented that “This initiative is fully in line with our strategy of sharing the risks of major greenfield developments with partners. It opens up new opportunities for the exploitation of natural resources in the Norilsk Industrial District. We expect that upon its ramp-up, the project could become one of the world’s leading PGM producers in terms of both size and profitability. Moreover, the launch of a JV of such scale should give a powerful impetus for the further social and economic development of the Krasnoyarsk region and Russia’s mining industry overall”.
Mr Musa Bazhaev President of Russian Platinum, commented that “Through our partnership with Nornickel, we are creating one of the world’s largest clusters for the production of platinum and palladium. The three mining licenses, which will be contributed to the JV, are located in a close proximity one from another and thus have a major synergy potential in terms of geology and logistics. The high degree of our deposits in terms of their preparedness for launch, the infrastructure, the unique expertise and successful experience of Nornickel in launching major industrial enterprises employing most advanced technologies provide prerequisites for the accelerated and highly profitable development of new deposits in the Norilsk Industrial District. ”
- Revaluation of Romania’s enormous mineral wealth
- Central Asia Metals’ mine in North Macedonia had leakage of tailing into the river
- Mining companies and their relations to the local communities
- Dalradian Gold plans gold mine in Northen Ireland, community splits between pros and cons
- Kaz Mountains in Turkey threatened by mining licenses
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- Rio Tinto in Serbia: Lithium exploitation plan presented
- Eastern Mining Company step closer to Exploitation Permit in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Capital Mining starts next exploration phase at Irish lithium projects
- Zijin Bor Copper plans to produce 3.3 mln t of ore at Cukaru Peki Upper Zone mine in Serbia
- Garlyk mining and processing factory – Belarus-Turkmenistan compromise
- Jadar Resources gets promising results from borate and lithium project in Serbia
- Tirex Resources Mining License for High Grade Albania Rehova Copper Project Approved
- First Quantum Minerals copper-zinc Pyhasalmi mine in Finland