Nevsun announces inferred resource for its Serbia Timok Lower Zone
The Timok ,Cukaru Peki, Lower Zone deposit contains 31.5-billion pounds of copper and 9.6-million ounces of gold, TSX-listed Nevsun Resources said on Tuesday, announcing an initial resource estimate for the project in Serbia.
The Timok Lower Zone – a joint venture with Freeport-McMoRan – has a porphyry copper inferred mineral resource of 1.7-billion tonnes, grading 0.86% copper and 0.18 g/t gold (0.96% copper equivalent).
Nevsun CEO Peter Kukielski said that the Timok Lower Zone ranked high among world porphyry deposits by tonnage and by grade. With 1.1-billion tonnes grading 1.11% copper equivalent, the Timok Lower Zone benchmarks well against planned and operating block cave mines, he added.
“We expect that Timok (Cukaru Peki) is the start of a new generation of mines in Serbia’s Bor region. The Lower Zone remains open to the north and at depth. There are multiple high grade Upper Zone style exploration targets above the Lower Zone and our exploration licences have the potential to host entirely new porphyry systems with associated high grade Upper Zone style mineralisation,” Kukielski said.
The Lower Zone at Timok consists of two distinct mineralisation styles: a typical porphyry copper style mineralisation characterised by potassic alteration and chalcopyrite with elevated molybdenum, and second a high sulphidation style mineralisation consisting of sericitic alteration with elevated arsenic and base metals (lead, zinc and bismuth). The porphyry copper mineralisation is the most important volumetrically at more than 95% of the volume at the lower cutoff.
The mineralised envelope extends above the Upper Zone on the east side with elevations ranging from about 500 m below the surface to just over 2 200 m below the surface.
- Thyssenkrupp exclusive distributor of graphite production from Elcora Adv Materials
- Ukraine coal giant DTEK’s assets becoming increasingly stranded
- Eldorado Gold gets positive Greece ruling, awaits mine permits
- Macedonia: How to Cut the Ilovica-Štuka Gordian Knot, EBRD supported Euromax on crossroad
- Dunav minerals Canada announced its Serbia gold assessment results in Medvedja mines
- Greek Court Acquits 21 Environmental Defenders in Eldorado Gold Trial
- Adriatic Metals achieves key milestone at Vares Bosnia
- Rakita Exploration Serbia & Freeport McMoran mining project development status
- European Electric Metals hires Nordmin for inspection of nickel-cobalt mine in Albania
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?