Mining industry strikes hard at Armenia’s environment
Mining, Armenia’s key industry, damages the country’s environment badly, Karine Danielyan, head of “For Sustainable Human Development” NGO, said Monday at a news conference dedicated to the International Environment Day.
“A fast growth of metal ore deposits is the most dangerous way of development for Armenia, which strikes hard especially at Lori and Syunik provinces, she said.
In her words, it pollutes environment by heavy metals and other toxic agents inflicting devastating damage to agriculture.
Even hydro power plants, she said, which are alternative energy sources and should be useful to the country, in fact, harm it, since they are operated without compliance with regulations, and this damages the country’s water resources.
Aida Iskoyan, head of the Yerevan State University’s scientific research center, on her side, said that things will not change unless appropriate laws start working.
“Although there are laws in the country, but they are not observed, and we should ask the authorities- why?” she said adding that the size of the ridiculous fine should be increased a great deal.
- Terra Balcanica extends its polymetallic footprint with positive drill exploration in its flagship project in Bosnia
- St Charles Resources said it reached a final agreement to acquire Bulgaria-based private mining business Eastern Resources
- Europe, Can mining ever be green?
- Russia, Eligdar reports record gold production in 2022
- The exploitation of Portugal’s mineral resources
- Lydian, Amulsar Gold and a viable mining industry in Armenia
- GeoProMining Gold indirectly confirms its involvement in corrupt deal with Armenian government
- Conroy Gold and Anglo Asian Mining to open modern gold mine in Ireland by 2030
- Jadar Lithium in Serbia gets four exploration licenses
- Who are the main players in the ore exploration business in Serbia
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- Talas Gold Mining Complex in Kyrgyzstan launched
- Greenland, Amaroq Minerals says Kobberminebugt’s high-grade nature is ‘unsurprising’
- Romania bail out from Ukraine Krivoy Rog Mining Oxidized Ore project investment
- Lydian files BIT notice in relation to Armenian mining project that has been blocked