Miedzi Copper Corporation discovers deposits of silver and copper in Poland
Miedzi Copper Corporation had discovered deposits of silver and copper worth an estimated $60 billion in western Poland. Under Polish law natural resources belong to the state, so, if mined, the deposits could provide a handy boost to the nation’s coffers.
The riches lie buried around 1,900 metres beneath the surface near the towns of Zielona Góra and Nowa Sól, and, if extracted could create 8,600 jobs and bring in an estimated PLN 1 billion a year to the state budget for decades to come, according to Miedzi Copper Corporation, the Canadian firm that discovered the deposits.
“The value of the deposits is worth an estimated $60 billion,” said Professor Stanisław Speczik, CEO of Miedzi Copper Corporation.
“We want to start building the mine in 2024-25. This deposit is the property of the state so we will only get a mining license.”
It may not be all good news for the Canadian firm, however. It has been in competition with KGHM, a Polish mining giant, for a number of years, and there is speculation that the government might award the license to the local firm rather than the foreign company.
There are also environmental concerns
Although modern mining methods have less of an environmental impact than their predecessors there are fears new mines could damage the ecology and lead to people having to give up their homes so the mine can be built.
The news of the new deposits should, however, bolster Poland’s already good standing as a country rich in metals.
According to the Polish National Geological Institute, Poland ranked second and fifth in the world in 2015 when it came to anticipated economic resources of silver and copper.
- Zijin mine workers protest in Bor, Serbia
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Erin Ventures in DD with strategic partner for its Serbia boron project
- Protests against Rio Tinto’s future lithium mine in Serbia
- Erin Ventures suspends Piskanja boron project in Serbia due to state of emergency
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- Gold and silver mining increased in Azerbaijan in Q1 2020
- Russian Copper Co RCC is planning to expand its mineral resources base in Kazakhstan
- Glencore corporation reports decrease in annual profit, issues with Kazakhstan and Congo authorities
- St-Georges Eco-Mining acquired Melmi EHF and all mineral licenses in Iceland