Japanese corporations eye mining sector of Kazakhstan
Japanese corporations are interested in joint projects with Kazakhstan on geological exploration of gold and copper, Kazakh Kazgeologiya said in a message.
During the Japan-Kazakhstan business forum entitled “Investment opportunities in the regions of Kazakhstan” in Tokyo, the sides discussed investment projects in the mining and metallurgy, energy, chemical, and agrarian industries.
Vice-Minister for Investments and Development of Kazakhstan Yerlan Khairov, Chairman of the Japan-Kazakhstan Economic Committee Koichi Yajima and Ambassador of Kazakhstan to Japan Erlan Baudarbek-Kozhatayev adressed the event, where Kazgeology’s chief geologist Berikbol Hamzin participated.
Business meetings within the framework of “B2B” format attracted interest from over 180 Japanese investment companies.
Hamzin met with representatives of companies “Argonavt Corporation”, “Sumitomo Corporation”, “Tairiku Trading”, “Mitsubishi materials”. Head of Sumitomo Corporation, Hitoshi Tanaka, expressed an interest in investing in gold and copper exploration projects in Kazakhstan, stressing that he heard about the successful joint projects of Kazgeology with Rio Tinto.
General Manager of the Department of Mining and Mineral Resources of Mitsubishi Materials Corporation, a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Corporation Kazufumi Jaano, also expressed interest in cooperation.
One of the main tasks of the company is to provide copper concentrate for two plants in Japan – Onakham and Naoshimi. Currently, these enterprises are loaded with imported raw materials from abroad only by 30 percent, so Mitsubishi Materials Corporation is very interested in access to new copper ore deposits.
On the same day, a seminar was held at the office of the state geological exploration company “JOGMEC” with the participation of the delegation of Kazakhstan. Following the seminar, the parties agreed to meet in early 2018 in Kazakhstan to discuss projects on copper, cobalt, rare earth and lithium ores.
- Tara Mines bids to extract last of Bula resource and end long-running saga
- Newmont is expanding its business to Europe
- Political influence on Kyrgyz gold mining
- New Bulgaria plant for casting of iron and steel
- Who are the main players in the ore exploration business in Serbia
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- JSC Pavlik, Russia, new gold processing plant
- Mining and indigenous communities across the world
- Pan Global gets access to Torrubia copper target in Spain
- Leading Edge hits significant lithium, tantalum in Sweden