Jacobs to develop $5.3bn Oyu Tolgoi copper and gold mine in Mongolia
Oyu Tolgoi is jointly owned by the Government of Mongolia and Turquoise Hill Resources. Out of this 66% share, Rio Tinto owns 51%.
Jacobs Engineering has secured a contract to develop the $5.3bn Oyu Tolgoi underground copper and gold mine in Mongolia.
Oyu Tolgoi is jointly owned by the Government of Mongolia and Turquoise Hill Resources (66%). Out of this 66% share, Rio Tinto owns 51%.
Under the contract, the company will provide engineering, procurement and construction management services for the next stage in the mine development.
Jacobs is responsible for EPCM services to implement the materials handling systems for the new mine in addition to associated surface and underground infrastructure.
Set to be delivered over a five to seven year period, the project is expected to provide substantial employment and business opportunities in Mongolia.
The Oyu Tolgoi mine is located in the South Gobi region of Mongolia, 550km south of the capital Ulaanbaatar.
“Oyu Tolgoi is one of the largest mining projects worldwide.”
Last month, Rio Tinto and its partners in the Mongolian Government and Turquoise Hill Resources approved the expansion of the mine, with the necessary permits also in place.
Jacobs president and CEO Steve Demetriou said: “We are very proud to be associated with what is a landmark project for Oyu Tolgoi, Mongolia and the global mining landscape.
“The Oyu Tolgoi underground project is one of the largest mining projects worldwide. We are excited at the opportunity to contribute significant value to our client and the nation of Mongolia.”
First draw bell production from Oyu Tolgoi is expected in 2020.
Production from the open-pit mine at Oyu Tolgoi commenced in 2013 and over 440,000t of copper has been sold since then.
- Construction at Adriatic Metals’ Vares high-grade silver project in Bosnia and Herzegovina is picking up speed
- North Macedonia, Central Asia Metals increases copper production
- Kazakhstan, KAZ Minerals increases copper production 26% in first nine 2022
- Modern mining companies are now going to more zero emissions and green eco-responsible extraction technologies
- Anglo Asian Mining announced the start of an expansion of its flotation plant
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Bosnia and Herzegovina, Discovered a gold deposit near Srebrenica
- Lithium and rare earth elements discovered in Mongolia Khuut mine
- Spain, Denarius will initially have an option to subscribe for a 51% stake in EMI
- The raw truth of Europe’s raw materials
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- Norwegian phosphate, vanadium and titanium raw materials discovery
- Who are the main players in the ore exploration business in Serbia
- Finland, Sibanye-Stillwater approved €588 million ($616m) investment to advance its Keliber lithium project
- Orion Mine Finance & Fusion Capital JV zink lead mine in Macedonia introduce a new juncture in mining business