Icelandic gold potential
Björk Sigurbjörnsdóttir, CEO of Iceland Resources ehf., says there is definitely gold in Icelandic ground; “The question is whether a sufficient amount of it will be discovered to make mining possible.”
“We will be doing research drilling for the purpose of gold search in Þormóðsdalur valley this summer,” she notes. “Preparation for further research is under way, and our next projects are fully funded.”
“The search for gold here [in Iceland] has a history of more than a 100 years, and a great deal of data have been collected,” she continues. “Many people have taken part in the search. Iceland Resources has collected and acquired all data relevant to gold search in Iceland. Our specialists are processing those. Our strength lies in our data bank.”
The company has valid research permits in Þormóðsdalur, about 20 km east of Reykjavík, on the Tröllaskagi peninsula, North Iceland, and in Vopnafjörður fjord, Northeast Iceland.
“We are expecting foreign specialists to arrive this summer, who will review the situation with us and figure out what’s interesting,” Þórdís states. Between ten and 15 people will participate in the research this summer. An Icelandic company will be in charge of drilling. No mining permits for gold mining have been issued, and applying for those takes a few years.
Iceland Resources cooperates with Icelandic and foreign specialists in the field of geology and gold mining. Dr. Helen Salmon and Vincent Barbier are the company’s senior geologists, and geologist Hjalti Franzson is one of the advisory board members.
Samples are sent from Iceland to an international laboratory in Ireland, which specializes in this field.
“I see a great opportunity for Icelanders in utilizing this natural resource,” Þórdís states. “Mines [in Iceland] will never be large, and we have a good idea of how we’d like to do things in an environmentally friendly and neat way.”
- Construction at Adriatic Metals’ Vares high-grade silver project in Bosnia and Herzegovina is picking up speed
- North Macedonia, Central Asia Metals increases copper production
- Kazakhstan, KAZ Minerals increases copper production 26% in first nine 2022
- Modern mining companies are now going to more zero emissions and green eco-responsible extraction technologies
- Anglo Asian Mining announced the start of an expansion of its flotation plant
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Bosnia and Herzegovina, Discovered a gold deposit near Srebrenica
- Spain, Denarius will initially have an option to subscribe for a 51% stake in EMI
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- The raw truth of Europe’s raw materials
- Norwegian phosphate, vanadium and titanium raw materials discovery
- Lithium and rare earth elements discovered in Mongolia Khuut mine
- Who are the main players in the ore exploration business in Serbia
- Finland, Sibanye-Stillwater approved €588 million ($616m) investment to advance its Keliber lithium project
- Orion Mine Finance & Fusion Capital JV zink lead mine in Macedonia introduce a new juncture in mining business