Icelandic gold potential
Björk Sigurbjörnsdóttir, CEO of Iceland Resources ehf., says there is definitely gold in Icelandic ground; “The question is whether a sufficient amount of it will be discovered to make mining possible.”
“We will be doing research drilling for the purpose of gold search in Þormóðsdalur valley this summer,” she notes. “Preparation for further research is under way, and our next projects are fully funded.”
“The search for gold here [in Iceland] has a history of more than a 100 years, and a great deal of data have been collected,” she continues. “Many people have taken part in the search. Iceland Resources has collected and acquired all data relevant to gold search in Iceland. Our specialists are processing those. Our strength lies in our data bank.”
The company has valid research permits in Þormóðsdalur, about 20 km east of Reykjavík, on the Tröllaskagi peninsula, North Iceland, and in Vopnafjörður fjord, Northeast Iceland.
“We are expecting foreign specialists to arrive this summer, who will review the situation with us and figure out what’s interesting,” Þórdís states. Between ten and 15 people will participate in the research this summer. An Icelandic company will be in charge of drilling. No mining permits for gold mining have been issued, and applying for those takes a few years.
Iceland Resources cooperates with Icelandic and foreign specialists in the field of geology and gold mining. Dr. Helen Salmon and Vincent Barbier are the company’s senior geologists, and geologist Hjalti Franzson is one of the advisory board members.
Samples are sent from Iceland to an international laboratory in Ireland, which specializes in this field.
“I see a great opportunity for Icelanders in utilizing this natural resource,” Þórdís states. “Mines [in Iceland] will never be large, and we have a good idea of how we’d like to do things in an environmentally friendly and neat way.”
- Serbia Lece gold mine in the hands of a phantom company from Dubai
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Serbia: deposits of gold and copper
- Who are the main players in the ore exploration business in Serbia
- Adriatic Metals’ Veovaca project in Bosnia received exploitation permit
- Eldorado and Minvest Deva Certej mine proposal rejected in Romania
- Oil and gas company MOL cuts CAPEX, focus on projects in Croatia, Russia, Pakistan
- Lukoil Romania Petrotel oil refinery prepares for Iran oil
- Sweden eyes cobalt mining on home turf
- Erris Resources obtains gold exploration permit for new gold project in Sweden