Gungnir Resources’ gold exploring in Sweden
Gungnir Resources Inc is an explorer with gold and base metal permits in the prolific Vasterbotten district of Sweden, which has a long history of mining. The district hosts 12 million ounces of gold, which has been defined in existing and mined resources. The area is also home to several past-producing and producing volcanogenic massive sulphide (VMS) base metal mines. For example, there is the is the Boliden mine, a 4 million ounce (Moz) past-producer, and the Agnico Eagle joint ventured Barsele gold deposit where over 2 million ounces of the yellow metal had been defined as of February last year..
Gungnir’s main focus is the Knaften project, which lies at the south end of the so-called Knaften-Barsele Arc (Gold Line), which hosts a number of gold deposits including Faboliden and Svartliden (Dragon Mining), and the above mentioned Barsele Gold-VMS project. The asset hosts high-grade gold, VMS (zinc-copper) and copper-nickel targets, all open for expansion. Notably, in the past three years – 2017, 2018 and 2019 – the company has carried out drilling it has made three new discoveries at Knaften.
Gungnir also holds permits covering two nickel deposits called Lappvattnet and Rormyrberget, which together host about 71 million pounds of nickel in historic resources, and lie 100 kilometres (km) and 60 km, respectively, from Knaften, covering 471.3 hectares.
It also holds the Norrbotten gold and base metal claims, namely five permits totalling 25 square kilometres (sq km). The permits cover significant gold, silver and copper mineralized boulders/blocks alone a north-west trending corridor, which sits around 200 km north of the Knaften project.
Gungnir has said it is fully funded to continue drilling in 2020. On August 7, it reported material exploration news, saying it had “significantly” expanded mineralization via drilling at the Knaften 300 gold zone at the Knaften project. Last year at the zone, Gungnir identified a stacked gold system including a new lower zone with high-grade gold including 59.6 grams per ton (g/t) gold over 1 metre within a broader interval grading 14.07 g/t of the yellow metal over 4.25 metres at Knaften.
Gold mineralization at Knaften 300 is associated with disseminated arsenopyrite zones ranging from about two to 20 metres wide, typically five metres, the firm has said. The zone is open at depth and along strike, and regionally, a magnetic low trend is an obvious target extending several kilometres along strike. In 2018, the firm discovered a new VMS target called Rodingstrask and only nine holes have so far tested it, while in 2017 it discovered a Knaften copper-nickel target.
In July 2020 the group reported re-sampling results of archived drill core from its two nickel deposits. At Rormyrberget, the results included 2.33% nickel over 12.5 metres. Looking ahead, Gungnir says the next steps at Knaften are to drill-test several targets focused on high-grade gold. East of Knaften, the firm plans to update historic nickel-copper-cobalt resources on its Lappvattnet and Rormyrberget claims. Also at these assets, Gungnir continues to evaluate archived drill core for platinum group metals (PGEs).
In a statement in July, Gungnir’s chief executive Jari Paakki said: “The next planned step at our nickel projects is to update the historic estimates to current resources with a view of strengthening nickel prices in the near-future. Our current exploration focus in Sweden is gold.”
“Drilling is on-going at our Knaften project focused on expanding our 2019 high-grade gold discovery of 59.60 g/t Au over 1.0 metre within a mineralized interval grading 14.07 g/t Au over 4.25 metres. Results of our exploration work will be made available through the summer and fall,” he added.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina, Discovered a gold deposit near Srebrenica
- Region, What next for the big miners?
- Resource Mining Corporation acquires highly prospective nickel and lithium tenements in Finland
- Erdene Resource Development Corp. reported results from recent drilling at the 100%-owned Dark Horse prospect
- Atalaya Mining provides exploration update on its projects in Spain
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Region, What next for the big miners?
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- Zijin Mining project is one of the many highly polluting Chinese investments
- Mining in Amulsar and territory conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- Kyrgyz authorities scrapped a Chinese investment project after mass protests
- Euromax’ exploitation permit for Ilovica 6 rejected in North Macedonia
- Small businesses develop in vicinity of Lydian Amulsar mine
- Norwegian phosphate, vanadium and titanium raw materials discovery
- Sweden: Talga has started trial mining at its Vittangi graphite project