Gold and silver mining increased in Azerbaijan in Q1 2020
Siting the State Statistics Committee, local media reported that in the period of January-March the volume of Azerbaijan’s gold and silver mining industry increased by 23 percent and 72 percent respectively year-on-year. As of April 1, 2020, the reserves of mined silver in the warehouses of manufacturing companies are 34.9 kg. Gold mining increased by 23 percent in the first quarter of 2020, amounting to 948.3 kg, while silver mining amounted to 1,193 kg, an increase of 73%.
The extracted gold and silver have been transferred for processing, the report says.
Presently, two companies – AzerGold and Anglo Asian Mining – are operating in the sphere of mining of precious metals in Azerbaijan.
In 1997, Azerbaijan signed a contract providing for the development of six fields: one in Nakhchivan, two in the Gadabay region of Azerbaijan (450 km west of Baku) and three in Kelbajar and Zangelan, currently occupied by the Armenian armed forces. Azerbaijan’s share in the contract is 51%, Anglo Asian Mining PLC – 49%.
According to the contract, a total of 400 tons of gold is planned to be extracted from these 6 deposits.
The extraction of the first gold began in 2009 from the Gadabay deposit, the extraction of silver – in 2010. Gold mining began at Gosha in the third quarter of 2013. In the summer of 2015, the company also commissioned the Gadir gold mine, and in September 2017, the Ugur mine.
AzerGold CJSC, established in 2015, is engaged in gold and silver mining. The company is engaged in the study, research, exploration, development and management of the gold and iron ore sections of Garadag, Chovdar, Heydag, Dagkeseman, the Kokhnemeden section and the Kuryakchay basin.
- Large scale lithium and borate mineralisation in Rekovac, Serbia identified by Jadar Resource
- Bluejay Mining ilmenite mine in Greenland
- Eastern Mining Company step closer to Exploitation Permit in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Medgold Resources to acquire Fortuna Silver Mines’ interest in the Tlamino Project, Serbia
- Highly promising boron and lithium deposits detected near Jagodina in Serbia
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Savannah Resources “white gold” rush in Portugal – lithium mining and environmental issues
- Turkey's Esan plans $43 million investment in Kosovo's mining sector
- Raiden Resources relists with new Serbian gold and copper focus
- Zijin Bor Copper in Serbia plans to invest $800 mln in expansion of its production capacity
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- Chinese company Zijin Mining interested in Serbia copper company RTB Bor
- Rio Tinto's USD 4,4 billion copper mine Oyu Tolgoi deal with EBRD-IFC-BNP Paribas
- Bosnia coal mines to increase production in 2016
- Turkish mining company to base €7.6m copper-lead-zinc prospecting project in Portugal