European Cobalt zones in on Slovakia project
Explorer European Cobalt is stepping up efforts to tap into the growing market for cobalt, which is seen as one of the most important metals in the fast-growing energy storage market.
The company, which estimates that in three years’ time one-fifth of global cobalt demand will stem from electric vehicles, is zoning in on the Dobsina project, in central Slovakia.
Nickel/cobalt mineralisation at Dobsina was first recognised in 1970 and was exploited until the nineteenth century. Historically, Dobsina produced 430 000 t of high-grade nickel cobalt ore, which was hand sorted on site and shipped to the UK for smelting.
European Cobalt has identified the Zemberg vein system as a priority. This area previously produced at an average grade of 4% cobalt and 16% nickel.
Besides the Dobsina project, the company also owns the Kolba cobalt/copper/nickel/gold project in Slovakia and the Jouhineva cobalt/copper/gold project in Finland. The Kolba project, 70 km east of Dobsina, was acquired in July and the Jouhineva project in August.
On Tuesday, European Cobalt announced that it had secured a Swedish portfolio, which was dotted with “numerous” cobalt, coper and nickel mines. The projects, located in the Bergslagen district of Sweden, were secured through direct licence applications.
MD Rob Jewson said in a statement that the acquisition of the Swedish portfolio reaffirmed European Cobalt’s commitment to acquiring value accretionary cobalt assets in Europe.
He added, however, that the company’s focus was on its flagship Dobsina project and that it was evaluating “strategic partnership of divestment opportunities for the Scandanavian portfolio” to focus its efforts on the Slovakia asset.
European Metals is listed on the ASX.
- Bulgarian gold in offshore paradise linked to European public lender
- European Metals raises £2.28m for lithium Cinovec deposit in the Czech Republic
- In Poland’s coal heartland, miners defend their jobs but imagine a greener future
- Atalaya Mining approves expansion plan at Proyecto Riotinto, Spain
- Velocity Announces Additional Positive Drill Results at Rozino Gold Project, Southeast Bulgaria
- Tirex Resources mining license for high grade Rehova Albania copper project approved
- Beowulf Mining environment mitigation process with Sweden authorities
- Rio Tinto powers up Serbian Jadar lithium mine for car battery boom
- Ravello Investment Group takes over Turkey gold Pertek project
- Polymetal takes over Armenia Kapan gold mine from Dundee
- BSG Resources Panama papers on Oil refinery and Rosia Montana gold mine in Romania
- Avala Resources gold mining project Serbia, Environment Social Impacts
- Canada’s Euro Sun Mining gets $8.6 million financing for Romanian ops
- First Quantum Minerals copper-zinc Pyhasalmi mine in Finland
- Serbia sets up body to give boost to Rio Tinto’s Jadar project