Boliden to invest €150mn in Finnish mine and smelter expansion
A metals company, with significant exploration projects in mining, smelting and metals recycling, has announced major expansions plans for one of the only gold smelters in western Europe.
Boliden announced in a statement this week that it will invest around EUR 150 million into the expansion of its Kevitsa copper-nickel mine and Harjavalta copper-nickel smelter, located in Finland.
“A few years ago, we decided to invest in the copper production at Harjavalta and revise our nickel strategy. The Kevitsa copper-nickel mine was acquired in 2016 and is now Harjavalta’s most important concentrate supplier. Today’s investment decision should be viewed as part of the development of Boliden’s overall operations in Finland,” says Lennart Evrell, President & CEO.
The company will invest EUR 80 m in increasing production at Kevitsa. Through the expansion, the project will rise from 7.5 to 9.5 Mtonnes per year from 2021.
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Reservoir Minerals copper exploration project halted by Macedonia Gevgelija local authorities
- Uzbekistan completes copper mine expansion project
- Ariana Resources at Kiziltepe gold mine in Turkey still mining strongly with record level of ore production
- Turkey gold exploration project promotes AU Mariana Resources junior mining Co
- Romania, Rovina gold mining project in Romania close to getting final permits
- Dundee reports record gold production in second quarter in Bulgaria
- Macedonia Valandovo local community mobilizes against copper mine exploitation
- New Bulgaria plant for casting of iron and steel
- Mine waste failures and tailing spills in Serbia