Anti gold-mining group from Co Tyrone in Dublin to stage protest
A Co Tyrone organisation opposed to the development of a gold mine in the Sperrins will stage a protest march in Dublin this weekend.
The Greencastle People’s Office is organising the ‘Greencastle GPO to Dublin GPO’ protest on Saturday with several buses travelling down from Co Tyrone.
The group will walk from the GPO on O’Connell Street to the government buildings at Dail Eireann, where it will hand a letter to government officials stating “Ireland is not for sale”.
A controversial planning application for the development of the gold mine near Greencastle from Canadian company Dalradian Gold is currently under consideration by the Department for Infrastructure, which has indicated the project will be subject to a public inquiry.
In a Facebook post, the Greencastle People’s Office said: “Everyone is excited about next week’s march, it is brilliant to hear that all the other anti-mining groups around Ireland are coming and looking forward to meeting one and another
“In this campaign, it is good to know we are not on our own in this fight, that others have our back”.
“The bus is booked and we are ready to bring our message to the Dàil that gold mining is not an industry Ireland needs or should want”.
“We ask all the groups in the south to email their TDs and councillors and ask them to be there on the day to accept the letter which we will be handing in to say that we the people of Ireland are very clear in our opposition of gold mining and the destruction that mining would bring to our land”.
Source: Belfast Live
- Eldorado and Minvest Deva Certej mine proposal rejected in Romania
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Talas Gold Mining Complex in Kyrgyzstan launched
- Kazakhstan to produce 21,600 mt of uranium in 2018
- Deficit of trust in Rio Tinto’s social and environment program
- Serbia: deposits of gold and copper
- Titanium mining progress in Iran
- Thyssenkrupp exclusive distributor of graphite production from Elcora Adv Materials
- Russia starts developing Vershinnoye deposit
- Lithium extraction in Europe