Serbian copper miner attracts 11 possible buyers
Serbia’s RTB Bor copper miner and smelter has drawn interest from 11 companies and the tender could take place this week or next, Belgrade daily Politika reported on Wednesday.
Serbia has tried and failed three times since 2007 to sell the debt-laden mining complex, which suffered a long period of neglect during the Balkan Wars and the country’s international isolation in the 1990s.
Politika quoted Energy and Mining Minister Aleksandar Antic as saying Belgrade would launch a tender to privatise the company this week or next.
Companies from China, Russia, Canada and Turkey, as well as a consortium from Kazakhstan, have expressed interest in buying RTB Bor, Politika quoted Antic as saying.
Last week, at a 16+1 summit between European and Chinese leaders in Sofia, Antic said the buyer would have to invest around $300-million in the company. He also said that Zijin Mining could be among bidders.
RTB Bor’s first-half copper exports rose 23% to 15 000 t, company data showed.
Export revenue between January and June stood at $107.1-million and it sold copper worth an additional $30.9-million domestically.
To speed up reforms and spur growth, as recommended by the International Monetary Fund, Serbia must dispose of remaining state-run companies.
Attempts to sell RTB Bor in 2007 and 2008 failed as bidders did not meet terms of those tenders.
- International mining companies in North Macedonia face resistance from local initiatives
- Rio Sava Exploration Ltd.: Spatial plan for yadarite exploitation and processing in Serbia
- Armenia’s unprocessed copper is the leading export
- Raiden Resources named the winner of the BG1 license-tender in Bulgaria
- North Macedonia’s mine games before the elections
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- New research has revealed the true wealth of copper and gold deposits in eastern Serbia
- The weight of gold, Bulgaria
- Russia GMK Norilsk Nickel to develop copper mine Bystrinsky with Chinese loan
- Lukoil Romania Petrotel oil refinery prepares for Iran oil
- Turkish mining company to base €7.6m copper-lead-zinc prospecting project in Portugal
- Zi Jin Bor mine company in law procedure with Serbia’s Ministry because of the air pollution in Bor, Serbia
- First Quantum Minerals copper-zinc Pyhasalmi mine in Finland
- BSG Capital Gabriel Resources owner Steinmetz wanted in Romania
- Southern Arc Makes Strategic Investment in Tethyan active in Serbia