Greece’s Council of State in favor of the Hellas Gold mining company
The overturn of a 2016 development ministry decision to derisively reject a necessary technical study
Hellas Gold, a subsidiary of Canadian mining giant Eldorado Gold, submitted the study in order to begin operation of its metallurgical unit at the Skouries gold mining concession, in the eastern part of Halkidiki prefecture.
At the time, the leftist SYRIZA government and relevant energy minister Panos Skourletis returned the study, without approval, to the firm “for reasons of substantive deficiency and inaccuracy.”
Four years later, and now with pro-market and pro-business New Democracy (ND) party in government, a majority of CoS justices again ruled in favor of Hellas Gold – the latest legal victory for the concessionaire, which has racked up consecutive legal judgments in its favor against the central government, regional authorities and numerous lawsuits by individuals and groups of plaintiffs.
The metallurgical unit in question is the principal processing plant, where mined deposits yield the final raw material, gold in this case.
- International mining companies in North Macedonia face resistance from local initiatives
- Rio Sava Exploration Ltd.: Spatial plan for yadarite exploitation and processing in Serbia
- Armenia’s unprocessed copper is the leading export
- Raiden Resources named the winner of the BG1 license-tender in Bulgaria
- North Macedonia’s mine games before the elections
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- The weight of gold, Bulgaria
- Rio Tinto in Serbia: Lithium exploitation plan presented
- New research has revealed the true wealth of copper and gold deposits in eastern Serbia
- First Quantum Minerals copper-zinc Pyhasalmi mine in Finland
- BSG Capital Gabriel Resources owner Steinmetz wanted in Romania
- UK Mineco plans opening of new Bosil-Metal lead-zinc mine in Serbia
- Reservoir Minerals copper exploration project halted by Macedonia Gevgelija local authorities
- Variscan Mines unearths zinc in Spain
- Miedzi Copper Corporation discovers deposits of silver and copper in Poland