Reputation impact on Barrick Gold latest Argentina environment incident
Reputation beyond borders in mining industry brings another pan world case of bad reputation in mining industry. Social networks of environment groups are transmitting the latest Barrick Gold Argentina environment incident.
Argentina’s Federal Police confirmed that Barrick Gold could be probed over environmental crimes in the countr, writes telesurtv.net from Argentina.
The Argentine Federal Police found Tuesday that Canadian mining company Barrick Gold had contaminated five rivers in the western province of San Juan, Argentina, when a cyanide spill occurred in September at its Veladero mine, located some 1,150 kilometers east (700 miles) of Buenos Aires.
The police experts informed they had found toxic heavy metals in the rivers Potrerillos, Jachal, Blanco, Palca and Las Taguas, and concluded that there had been a “definite case of law infringement” of the country’s legislation on the proper handling of hazardous substances. Cyanide was found in particularly high quantities in all the liquid and solid samples examined. In some cases, the levels exceeded the legal limit, according to the report issued by the Federal Police’s Department of Environmental Crimes. Drinking water in the area was also found to have excessively high levels of salts and cobalt. The Faculty of Medicine of Buenos Aires University has been ordered to investigate whether the contaminated water presents any potential health risks. A spokesperson for Barrick refused to comment on the report, claiming they had not seen it, according to Argentine newspaper La Nacion.
- Serbian protesters on Saturday marched to oppose Rio Tinto’s lithium mine plans
- Europe needs to shift the focus away from mining certain metals
- Serbia: Opposition to international mining company Rio Tinto’s planned lithium mine in Serbia is growing
- Rio Tinto: Jadarite processing will be an example of world best practice
- For the Vares silver project lower costs
- European Metals, Lithium mining may start in Czech mountains
- Eastern Mining Company step closer to Exploitation Permit in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- How valuable is Kosovo’s mineral wealth?
- Norwegian phosphate, vanadium and titanium raw materials discovery
- Chaarat set to pursue gold opportunities in Kyrgyz
- What Are The Major Natural Resources Of Macedonia?
- Eldorado and Minvest Deva Certej mine proposal rejected in Romania
- Highfield Resources’ mining concession process at Muga Potash Project in Spain
- Win Win for Euromax-Aurubis copper concentrate take off deal
- Russian steel giant MMK to spend $600 million on environmental projects